When the skin is injured, fibrous tissue known as scar tissue is formed above the wound to repair and protect it. Scars occur due to accidents, insect bites, scratches, acne, burns, chickenpox, surgical wounds, and vaccines.
Scars are one of the most difficult skin problems. While it is possible to reduce some of the new scars, but it is difficult to get rid of it, many people claim that treatment of scars, may reduce or remove it, but most of them lack any scientific evidence, The best way to reduce scars is to take care of wounds during recovery, which limits their formation from the beginning, it takes to get rid of scars some time, depending on the shape, size, and type of it.
The type of scar that a person is exposed to depends on many factors, such as:
- Type of skin injury that has occurred, such as acne, surgery or burning.
- The person’s natural skin type. The thickness, color, and texture of a person’s skin can affect the shape of a scar.
- Location injury. The skin may be more or less thick in some areas of the body, which may affect the shape of the scar.
The incised scar appears as a hole or curvature in the skin, formed as a result of damage to the skin collagen and usually occurs with cases such as chicken pox and acne.
This type of scarring causes the skin to tighten or shrink, formed as a result of burns, it may be painful, affect the muscles and nerves under the skin.
Widespread scars are common after surgery, usually flat and chapped, and less noticeable than other scars.
These scars characterized by excess tissue that forms on the skin during recovery. Usually darker than normal skin color.
Formed as a result of rapid healing and excessive tissue production and characterized by a high, thick and puffy appearance. Usually darker than the surrounding skin.
Treatment of Scars
There is no known way to make scars completely disappear, but the treatment of scars used to reduce it. These are some home remedies for scars :
Cactus is a natural remedy for the removal of scars due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Works as a natural antimicrobial to help repair damaged skin and promote healthy skin growth. In addition, it will help improve skin texture.
How to use cactus?
- Remove the outer green cover from the cactus leaf and extract the gel-like material.
- Apply the gel on the scar and then massage it with circular motions.
- Leave it for 30 minutes, then wash it.
- Apply the cactus gel twice daily.
- Note: Do not use cactus gel on open wounds.
Coconut oil is another excellent ingredient that can help reduce the size of scars. Vitamin E, an antioxidant in coconut oil, accelerate healing time. In addition, coconut oil stimulates the production of collagen and promotes the healing of damaged skin.
How to use coconut?
- Heat a small amount of coconut oil.
- Put the warm oil in the palm of your hand and massage it on the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave it for at least an hour until the skin absorbs the oil.
- For best results, repeat twice to four times a day.
Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is an effective antioxidant that can help reduce the scars, helps moisturize the skin, repair damaged tissue and improve the appearance of the scar.
How to use Vitamin E Oil?
- Open some capsuled of vitamin E to get the oil.
- Spread the oil on the scar and gently massage it for 10 minutes.
- Leave for 15 to 20 minutes, then wash with warm water.
- Repeat this several times a day.
Test vitamin E oil on a small piece of skin first, because it can cause allergy to some people.
Olive oil is another effective treatment to reduce the scar. It is rich in vitamin E and helps to keep the skin soft and moist. This, in turn, promotes healing of damaged skin.
How to use Olive Oil?
- Apply some of the warm olive oil on the affected area.
- Massage using small circular movements
- Wait 30 minutes, then wipe the oil with a clean cloth.
- You can also leave the oil on your skin all night.
- Repeat this several times a day.
Another option is to mix olive oil with Lavender oil and apply on the scar and massage gently for a few minutes. Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water and repeat this several times a day.
Lemon contains alpha-hydroxy acids, which have therapeutic properties that can help in the treatment of scars of all kinds. Lemon promotes the growth of new skin cells, improves skin elasticity, and can remove dead skin cells. Vitamin C in lemon also helps in the regeneration and repair of damaged skin, in addition, it also helps to whiten dark scars.
How to use lemon?
- Apply a small amount of lemon juice on the scar. Those who have sensitive skin can dilute lemon juice in equal amounts of rose water or vitamin E oil and then apply on the scar.
- Wait 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Used once daily.
- Note: Because lemon can make your skin sensitive to light, avoid getting out in the sun immediately after use and be sure to use a sunblock cream when you go out.
Honey is a natural moisturizer, reduces the scar, prevents the accumulation of dead skin cells and stimulates the regeneration of skin tissue also.
How to use honey?
- Apply a small amount of honey on the scar.
- Cover the scar with a bandage and leave it overnight.
- The next morning, wash it with warm water.
- Repeat this daily before bedtime.
Another option is to put equal amounts of honey and crystallized sugar on the scar and massage it gently for a few minutes. Then rinse with warm water, leave to dry and then apply any moisturizer to the skin. Use this treatment once or twice a week.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil reduces scar effects because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use Tea Tree Oil?
- Add four drops of tea tree oil to two tablespoons of water.
- Use this diluted solution to wash the affected area two or three times a day.
Another option is to add two or three drops of tea tree oil to one teaspoon of almond oil. Apply the mixture on the scar and leave for 30 minutes and rinse with warm water. Use this treatment once a day.
Sandalwood is characterized by its ability to renew the skin, reducing the appearance of all types of scars.
How to use Sandalwood?
- Mix equal amounts of sandalwood oil and any other oil of your choice.
- Apply it on the scar and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Follow this treatment twice a day.
Another option is to mix a teaspoon of sandalwood powder with a sufficient amount of rose water or milk to make a paste. Apply the paste on the scar and gently massage it. Leave it for an hour before washing with cold water. Use this once a day.
Baking soda is a natural Exfoliator, has anti-inflammatory properties, reduces the pigmentation of the skin and thus reduces the appearance of the scar.
How to use Baking Soda?
- Mix the distilled water with two tablespoons of baking soda until it forms a paste.
- Moisten the scar with distilled water and apply the paste on the wet scar.
- Leave the paste for 15 minutes while pressing.
- Rinse the scar and repeat it once a day.
Frankincense speeds the healing process and reduces the appearance of scars.
How to use Frankincense?
- Mix equal amounts of frankincense and rose and apply the mixture to the scar.
- Wait 45 minutes before rinsing the area gently with warm water.
- Follow this procedure three times a day.
The potato has skin lighting properties and also reduces the scars.
How to use Potato?
- The potato slices into medium-sized slices.
- Using a circular motion, massage the potato slice on the scar.
- Once the potato slice starts to dry, discard it and continue to massage by another one.
- Continue massaging and replacing slices for about 20 minutes and leave the scar dry for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse the area with cold water.
- Repeat this process at least once every day.